Even before the release of WoW (buy now for € 23.95) Classic Asmongold was hugely successful on Youtube and Twitch. Sure, his style was not well received by every viewer. But when it came to the views of his videos, hardly anyone could hold his own. The launch of the new WoW edition, driven by the hype train raging through the network, even gave it a boost: In August, September and October 2019, it was the most popular streamer on Twitch. On average, over 60,000 spectators watched him play WoW Classic.
But the viewers also noticed that WoW Classic was struggling with the streamer. Despite big words, Asmongold and his guild could Olympus against the superiority of the horde hardly do anything on the PvP server Faerlina. In addition came Small war with the Streamer Advertise as well as a lot of criticism from the community, for example that he would play Classic wrong,
As early as November, all the drama and stress made Asmon Gold think about to say goodbye to WoW Classic, His last video went online in December. After that, he was suddenly no longer there. Without notice, farewell or explanation. His channel just stayed empty.
Now, about two and a half months later, Asmongold spoke up in a very long video – as you know him – and talked about the reasons for the sudden break and his future plans. We have embedded the video below, which summarizes the most important findings:
- The last few months before the break were extremely successful for Asmongold. Tens of thousands of viewers watched his streams every day. That was great on the one hand, of course, on the other hand Asmongold felt that he had to pretend to be in this mainstream position because the mass of viewers had certain expectations of him that were not in line with his true nature.
- It became problematic for him, for example, when a viewer of his stream expressed death threats to him and his family. Asmongold then commented on this in his own direct way. The result: Many pages pounced on this quote, took it out of context and made it look as if it hated people who were mentally ill. Such things happened more and more with the increasing number of viewers, so that Asmongold censored himself more and less and less himself.
- Anyone who has been following his stream from the start knows that Asmongold has always been known for clearly addressing things and not keeping his opinion behind the mountain, even if he sometimes trod on people's feet or teased his opinion. To pretend more and more in these last months made Asmongold very uncomfortable.
- As a result, things came less and less to the fore in his videos, and because of their often wacky, bizarre, unusual nature, they gave his streams that certain something that everyone involved enjoyed and about, for a long time thought later. Instead, the streams increasingly ended in the hundredth discussion about whether Vanilla is heavier than Classic. That was of no interest to Asmon Gold or many viewers, and here he admits that he should never have let it come to this point. From his point of view, it was just as wrong to listen to the critics who kept complaining when he wasn't streaming Classic. Asmongold was too often influenced by this.
- Added to this was the whole drama in WoW Classic, which sometimes reminded him of a reality TV show, as well as a whole series of problems in his personal environment. As an example, he mentions the relationship with the streamer Pink Sparkles, which was repeatedly the target of verbal attacks from the community and which came to an end shortly before the sudden streaming break.
- Of course, he really liked that he made so much money with his videos. But he no longer needs additional money. And he could have made a lot more money with sponsors alone, but money was never his main driving force. Likewise, it didn't make him happier just because he was so successful as a streamer. There are simply other things in his environment that ensure that he is not too happy privately with himself and his life. And if the money is not important and streaming becomes an additional burden in addition to his already tense situation, then a little distance and a break is certainly a sensible option, and Asmongold took advantage of it.
- Asmongold is currently considering returning in about a week. He is in the mood for the Shadowlands-Alpha, the current BfA raid, but also for business studies in WoW Classic. He is looking forward to it, but is also a bit nervous because of the break.
- With the return, Asmongold wants to be more himself again, to create content that he wants and not to be controlled by people who actually only leave destructive comments in the chat.
- He knows only too well that other people have comparable or even worse problems. And if he can help with his content to entertain these people for a while and distract them from these things, then that also helps him in his situation.
Asmongold gets support from his buddy Esfand, who is also a well-known WoW streamer, who makes it clear that if you as a streamer only ever get negative feedback, are insulted and threatened and you get the feeling that everyone hates you, that is a burden. In his opinion, the community is responsible for the Asmongold break.
Did you follow the whole drama? Did you even belong to the regular Asmongold viewers? Are you looking forward to his comeback? Let us know in the comments!
Read these interesting stories too PC
Wow: Tortollaner – 445 rings and jewelry from 29.2.!
Wow: Gun Warrior Guide (Patch 8.3)
Wow: Victory over Boss Vil'raxx makes Portal appear
(*) We have marked affiliate links with an asterisk. We receive a small commission for a purchase via our link and can thus partially finance the free-of-charge website with this income. There are no costs for the user.