Activision Blizzard has released its financial report for the first quarter of 2021. Also included: lots of exciting information nuggets about WoW, Diablo and Co.
When Activision Blizzard pulls out the financial report for the past quarter, it will not only be exciting for investors, but also for us gamers. After all, such reports not only contain all sorts of dry numbers, we also get insights into how games like World of Warcraft have fared recently and what we can (and cannot) expect from upcoming projects like Diablo 4 or Overwatch 2.
The freshly published Financial report for the first quarter of 2021 is no exception. In the following we have summarized the most important insights for you, with our focus naturally on the Blizzard games.
- In the Activision universe, the number of monthly active players increased from 128 million (4th quarter 2020) to 150 million – mainly thanks to Call of Duty.
- Im Blizzard universe The number of monthly active players fell from 29 million (4th quarter 2020) to 27 million.
- The Blizzard sales increased year-on-year by 7 percent (483 million US dollars) and operating income by 6 percent (208 million US dollars).
- Shadowlands showed itself to be still strong after the record launch, the net bookings are above the value from the previous year. Blizzard is especially happy about many new players who play WoW for the first time.
- With Burning Crusade Classic should continue to build on this momentum. There was no specific release date, but those responsible spoke of a launch in the coming months.
- The final extension of Hearthstone, which was released on March 30th, is well on the way to surpassing the previous expansion’s net bookings.
- The feedback for Diablo 2: Remastered was very positive, no other Blizzard game had such high online viewership during an alpha test.
- Diablo Immortal has reached the second test phase and is well on its way to celebrate the global launch this year.
- In the course of the Q&A round it was emphasized again that one should gradually all franchises on mobile devices wants to bring. With 4 billion mobile devices worldwide, there is the greatest potential for growth there. Hundreds of new mobile developers are to be hired for this in the near future.
- Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 will probably not be released before 2022.
How do you rate the new quarterly report? Are you looking forward to the upcoming Blizzard titles? Let us know in the comments!
The links marked with * are affiliate links. Affiliate links are not advertisements as we are independent in researching and selecting the products presented. We receive a small commission for product sales, which we use to partially finance the free content of the website.