While the developers of Zenimax recently made a number of technical improvements to the client of The Elder Scrolls Online with Update 25, this was just another step in a long project to noticeably optimize the performance and stability of the game. The developers have now revealed in a dev blog what the current plans for performance improvement are.
In the third quarter of 2019, the developers of Zenimax started an extensive project for The Elder Scrolls Online in order to finally get a grip on the technical problems of the online role-playing game, noticeably optimize areas such as performance, memory consumption and loading times, and open up servers and clients alike to prepare for the coming years.
The project envisages that the designers look at some of the problem areas of the technical framework of TESO every quarter (buy now for € 89.95) make, the last improvements are for the PC version on February 24, 2020 with update 25 been implemented. Owners of a Playstation 4 or Xbox One will be able to use the lower one starting March 10th Storage space consumption, better performance and shorter loading times looking forward.
But since the update is known to be before the update, the developers have already considered the improvements that should come into play with Update 26. As the upcoming plans to improve performance look, you will learn below:
2nd quarter 2020: update 26
- Server optimizations and stability
- Peaceful Companions: We're reviewing how Peaceful Companions are processed to make them work more efficiently (more efficiently and with less strain on the server). Only corrections are made to this. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Player loading: We split player loading on the server across multiple threads to improve performance. Only corrections are made to this. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Client optimization and stability (previously called "frame rate improvements – phase 2")
- Multithreading in game world creation in the client – This is about how elements of the environment are put together and displayed in the game. In the end, we would like to distribute this over several cores. Work on the code has been completed and it is undergoing internal tests. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Game world creation: Work on the code is complete and only corrections are made. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Character update: This is about how characters are displayed on the client, what is distributed over several cores. Work on the code has been completed and only corrections are made. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Effect Update: This is additional work that we came across during the first part of the Effects Manager improvements that will appear in Update 25. Work on the code has been completed and it is undergoing internal tests. This puts us on schedule for Update 26.
- Battle Skill Improvements – Phase 3
- Area Skill Performance on Server: This is about specializing these skill types so that they can be handled more effectively by the server. Note: The game experience in general (damage / function) of these abilities should not change. Work continues and we are on schedule for Update 26.
3rd quarter 2020: Update 27
- Server optimizations and stability
- Database cache: there ESO continues to grow, the requirements for the database will continue to increase. This work inserts a cache level between the game and the database, which means that frequently performed queries and their results can be cached. This faster cache provides generally better scalability, speed, and reliability for the game and database.
- Database access optimization: Revisions of how the game accesses the database to ensure that the database is not overloaded when there is a heavy load or a large number of requests for certain tasks. We want to make sure that there are enough access points for the database that focus on the most critical game functions.
- "Cold storage" for account database: This work is planned after the implementation of the database cache. We will then determine when we will finish this work – either Update 27 or Update 28.
- Client optimizations and stability
- Critical memory improvements: This work should improve how the game client deals with situations in which a lot of memory is required. The most important elements of the respective situation should then be prioritized.
Read these interesting stories too PCPS4XBO
TESO: DLC Harrowstorm and Update 25 are online on PC
TESO: DLC Harrowstorm – Preview Unholy Grave
TESO: Developers present the new properties
(*) We have marked affiliate links with an asterisk. We receive a small commission for a purchase via our link and can thus partially finance the free-of-charge website with this income. There are no costs for the user.