The people in charge at Warner Bros. announced their strategy for the year 2021 and caused a small quake in the film industry. The company will forego theatrical exclusivity for all Warner films for the next 12 months. Instead, the strips will be shown on HBO Max at the same time. Subscribers don't have to pay extra to get access to these movies. They are part of the HBO Max monthly fee.
Warner Bros. has some highlights planned for 2021. Including the remake of Dune by director Denis Villeneuve. But also The Matrix 4, Godzilla vs. Kong or The Suicide Squad will be out next year. At the end of the year, Wonder Woman 1984 will also be shown in parallel on HBO Max and in the cinema. The DC film will, however, be shown exclusively in theaters one week earlier in selected countries. Warner Bros. CEO Ann Sarnoff has previously announced that this is a "one-of-a-kind annual plan" intended for the time of the pandemic. From 2022 onwards, the focus will be on the cinema again.
The films will be available on HBO Max exactly 31 days after their release. Because the streaming platform is not offered in Germany, it is still unclear where and how the Warner Bros. films will end up with us. We will keep you up to date.
These films will be released by Warner Bros. in 2021
- January 15, 2021 – Mortal Kombat
- January 29, 2021 – The Little Things
- March 05, 2021 – Tom & Jerry
- March 12, 2021 – The Many Saints of Newark
- April 16, 2021 – Reminiscene
- May 21, 2021 – Godzilla vs. Kong
- June 04, 2021 – The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
- June 18, 2021 – In the Heights
- July 16, 2021 – Space Jam: A New Legacy
- August 06, 2021 – The Suicide Squad
- October 01, 2021 – Dune
- November 05, 2021 – Elvis
- November 19, 2021 – King Richard
- December 22, 2021 – The Matrix 4
- No appointment yet – Judas and the Black Messiah
- Still without an appointment – malignant
- Still without an appointment – Those Who Wish Me Dead